Sunday, December 13, 2009

Book Review


Defense of Food is a book that looks in to something that is so vital our health, what we eat. It talks about how for the past 30 years we have slowly been replacing real food in our lives with nutrients. And how “nutritionism”, the nutritional value of a food is the sum of all its individual nutrients, vitamins, and other component, is actually making Americans unhealthier. He also argues that nutritionism is leading to western diseases such as diabetes, heart problems, and obesity. The author Michael Pollan luckily offers a healthy escape from our Western Diet and it actually is extremely simple just eat food, not too much, and mostly plants. He also focuses a lot on just enjoying what you’re eating, and if you don’t eat too much you should be fine. I liked this book because you can really see how it relates to all the food around us. I also liked it because it made me think about my health and what I’m putting into my body. So I would recommend this book to anyone interested in health otherwise it could be a long read.

No comments:

Post a Comment