Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Pompeii Book Review


Pompeii
by Robert Harris was the book I chose because it was a novel and I was way more interested in reading a novel than a non-fiction book. Pompeii combined a good amount of scientific information but, was focused more on being a mysterious story. Pompeii gave great insight to the remarkable disaster that unexpectadly destroyed a civilization. Harris sets up a interesting story and engages readers by twisting dramatic side stories into the main focus of the book, the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. In the beginning of the book I found it difficult to enjoy reading because of all the boring set up and the confusing Roman names. So, be ready to read 250 pages of agonizing set up. But, finally as the eruption draws nearer, he mixes in a fictional love story and bits of greed with the chaos of Pompeii and you become sucked in. By the end of the book you will find it hard to put down the book and I loved the last 100 pages. I would definitely suggest this book, but be prepared for a slow start. I give the book 3 stars out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment