Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Empty Ocean


I thought the book The Empty Ocean was very interesting, and the topic it discusses is very relevant to current day issues. The book explores many different marine organisms, such as whales, sea turtles, corals, in 4 different main sections (Emptying the Ocean, Killing Marine Mammals, Ecology in Trouble, and Is This The End?), with 14 chapters. It explores the different effects humans have had on marine life, with information dating back to the 1400's and on. The book went along nicely with our oceanography unit, talking about sustainable fishing and the harmful affects of the way humans fish. I learned a lot of useful information reading this book. It really opened my eyes to what is happening to life in our oceans because of humans destroying habitats, overfishing, and introducing new invaders into environments. My only complaint about the book would be that it was really long and wordy, definitely information overload at times. My advice would be to look at the chapters that contain information about marine life that interests you. Overall, I would recommend reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment