Monday, September 14, 2009

95 Worlds- Dillon Joffe



Just closing in on Europa, one of Jupiter's moons. I am getting pretty pumped. In preparation to explore, I have a special spacesuit that is going to protect me from some of Europa's harsh conditions. Right now, it is a very nice -180 degrees Celsius outside, but I know it can get much colder. This suit is able to keep the temperature on the inside and a comfortable 64 degrees Celsius. I also cannot forget about the extreme radiation coming from Jupiter. Since Europa has a ridiculously thin atmosphere, I need to protect myself. This suit has been proved by NASA to block out 99.99432 percent of all radiation. I hope that is enough. I am also going to be attached to a personal supply of air, as Europa has none. I cannot forget that Europa is basically a giant ice ball, so I am going to have to be careful where I step. I am attaching a video camera to my inner helmet so you can one day see what I see. Walking around for the first time, I am going to want to just enjoy land for a little while. After all, it has been years since I was last on Earth. I can see ice, as far as my eyes can reach. I also witness what I think are volcanoes that spew liquid water, due to the extreme cold. After a long while of exploring the ice and volcanoes, I feel the drilling might be complete. I return to the area where the ship landed, and success. Liquid water is present on the planet. I am not a strong swimmer, but I decide to take a dip anyway, swimming on anywhere besides Earth is quite a story to tell. Looking around, it looks a lot to me like an area you would see on Earth. At the very bottom, I can make out the images of some sort of bug looking creature, but you never know. My companions agree. There is definitely life on this planet. Well I am running out of air. Time to return to the ship. That was really cool. Now the long trip back to Earth.

1 comment:

  1. How lucky, you actually found life on Europa...I'm still looking!

    ReplyDelete