Monday, September 14, 2009

95 Worlds- Triton


Today, after an extremely long voyage, I landed on Neptune’s largest moon, Triton! Triton is the coldest object in the solar system; the average surface temperature is -391 degrees Fahrenheit. Because of the freezing temperature on Triton, I needed to pack an extremely thick, insulated space suit. The space suit also needed to have electric heaters running through each section of the body so that I could keep warm. The space suit is really heavy; it was necessary to have a battery pack in the back so that the heaters can stay working. On top of this I needed oxygen tanks because on Triton the atmosphere is very thin and none of the atmosphere is composed of oxygen. (It’s composed of Nitrogen and Methane). The space suit was also designed with jets on its feet. On Triton there are many deep cracks and things I would need to avoid, like the geyser eruptions that spew nitrogen gas and dust particles into the sky. Triton’s gravitational pull is about 1/12 that of Earth’s, so it wasn’t too hard to hop around the planet with my heavy space gear. I brought a big saucer with me so that I could wait for a geyser to explode and ride with the gas being shot in the air. From as high up as the gas is shot, I could see Neptune just around the corner. I also noticed that Triton is huge! It was fun to fly over the deep cracks that scar Triton’s surface. At the end of the day, I almost forgot to bring back some of the ice samples for NASA to analyze on Earth. I shoveled up some of the frost that had collected on top of the icy ground and headed back into my rocket. My trip to Triton was fun and exciting, but I was happy to be getting back to the more temperate and less desolate Earth!

1 comment:

  1. Woww a geyser erruption that spills nitrogen gas! You'll defintely want something to protect you against that!!

    ReplyDelete