Monday, September 14, 2009

95 Worlds


Maren Magill said...

I am one of the first humans ever in the history of our universe to walk on Jupiter’s moon Europa! Our spaceship has just landed on this icy giant and it is bitterly cold, the surface temperature is actually -262 degrees Fahrenheit to be exact. Glowing in the distance is the gas planet Jupiter, which seems to take up the entire sky and as we tilt our heads back we take in the grand multitude of stars that is the Milky Way. Although, we can see nearby Jupiter it is impossible to view our home planet Earth because of the distance. Because of the extreme conditions my fellow adventurers and I are wearing warm space suits to protect us from the dangerously cold weather. Also, in order to successfully traverse the moon my team and I are wearing crampons, shoes which sharp spikes on the soles, which enable us to safely climb around. Furthermore, because of this moons lack of oxygen we have brought along countless bottles of oxygen to ensure our safety. The ice on this planet is kilometers thick so thankfully we do not have to worry about dropping into the ocean deep below. My team and I are now just about ready to begin our adventure across this barren moon. Slowly, we begin to traverse the icy landscape. The ice is fairly smooth so we have conveniently brought along sleds to allow us to go down the mountain’s sides faster. My team and I have just climbed to the top of a hill and are able to look out onto an area of Europa. Unlike our volcanoes at home Europa’s ice volcanoes do not appear especially dangerous. My team and I begin to slowly climb up one of the moon’s large volcanoes. After a long hike we reach the top and are able to peer into the volcano. The volcano shoots up what looks like gray icy lava. It is an extraordinary site. Also, besides sleds my team and I have brought along ice skates because the moon is covered in smooth ice. As we are skating across Europa we encounter a strange site, we assume that it is either Thera or Thrace. The reddish jumbled area stretches as far as the eye can see. For this portion of the area we have to take off our ice skates and once again wear our crampons. After we cross the jumbled terrain we safely sled back down to our spaceship. Our journey on Europa has been very successful! Unfortunately, we are unable to attempt to drill through the kilometers of sea ice to see if there is an ocean underneath. We have collected and seen many extraordinary things for NASA to examine when we return home to Earth!

1 comment: