Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Adventure to Triton


Landing on Neptune’s Triton I felt almost weightless even in my heavily insulated space suit necessary for the frigid -400 F weather. Preparing for this trip I wondered what new sports I could enjoy on this frozen tundra. Thankfully my colleagues fitted my space suit with ice skates. As I first stepped on the ice I glided with ease and as I jumped I could spin like an Olympic figure skater. The very low gravity, 1/12 of Earth’s, allows jumping over the cracks in the ice easy. Enjoying the low gravity way too much, I became careless and fell right down a geyser. After the pressure built up it launched me 5 miles into the air, as high as Mount Everest. Finally I landed safely back on Triton and after being sent into orbit I was more than ready to go home. In the mass chaos of inventing a sport and getting launched by a geyser I had forgotten to take samples. I scooped up samples of the ice to be tested for any signs of life and boarded back on the space ship for the long trip home.

Seven Years Later…

Today I finally returned home from my one-day adventure to Triton I was 24 when I left and now I am 38 years old. But, it was totally worth it. There were single celled aliens on Triton living in the ice and I get to name them. Any ideas send them my way.

1 comment:

  1. Cool, tho it could have been a little more possible. IF you fell 5 miles you would be careening into the surface of Triton at hundreds of miles per hour.

    ReplyDelete