Monday, September 14, 2009

Jay Blackman Trip to Titan


As I approached Saturn’s massive moon of Titan I was already encountering my first challenge it was finding my way through the incredibly thick nitrogen atmosphere. But once I was able to get through the orange smog of an atmosphere I landed on an icy rocky area that looked like a lot like earth. As I got out of my space ship I was wearing a special suit that could handle the extreme cold weather. The suit had to be able to keep me warm in temperatures lower than -290 degrees Fahrenheit. My suit was also an anti radiation suit just in case, even though that was a small worry of mine since the atmosphere should keep Saturn’s radiation out. I brought with me a vehicle that would be able to trek across the massive amounts of land and also double as a boat that would be able to cross the methane lakes. The vehicle would be powered purely but the methane lakes so no energy would be required and that energy would also help me get home. When I wasn’t in the vehicle I brought for myself a pair of lightweight wings to help me glide through the air. This is possible because of the light gravity caused by the thick atmosphere. And finally I brought with myself all the necessary objects to collect samples and preserve them to be analyzed back home at earth. As I started to explore this untraveled moon I was distracted by how much it reminded me of earth. But I forced myself to regain focus and remember that I was here to look for possible signs of life. As I started to drive across the icy rock I came across something I was not expecting to find was a mountain range 150km long covered in methane snow. I was expecting Titan to be relatively flat. That is why once again I was stunned when I came across massive impact craters 440km wide. I was once again stunned at how much this planet looks like what earth must have looked like in its early stages of life. I had to travel far across a methane ocean to find a spot where I thought it was suitable to dig for samples. I set up my station with a nuclear drill that I brought and had it dig 200km deep into the surface and collect samples and bring them up. Once had my samples my mission was complete but I still wanted to one more thing. So I put on my light weight wings took a camera I brought and started to do something no man has ever done before fly just by using his own strength and a pair of wings. I took hundreds of pictures and returned to my vehicle and started back to my ship with some extra methane for my trip home. I can’t wait to get back and examine the samples I have and hopefully find signs of life.

2 comments:

  1. Going to a moon that seemed so much like Earth must have thrown you off, good thing you remembered you weren't actually on Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there done that Jay, been there done that.

    ReplyDelete