Monday, September 14, 2009

95 Worlds


9/9/09
Today I'm exploring Mars, the red planet. I figure it's the closest to home while still being something I don't see every day so why not? Using my nuclear rocket provided by NASA it has only taken me 4 months to reach my destination, which is relatively good considering space travel times are usually in years. As I step onto Mars I already feel lighter, considering that there's very little gravity here, compared to Earth. It's nice to take a load off seeming as I'm wearing a very heavy spacesuit. There's practically no atmosphere here. I was expecting something completely extraterrestrial but Mars is pretty much like I thought it would be: cold and red. The temperature must be somewhere around -60C. I see a large volcano and start to walk over to it, but I keep tripping on the rocky surface of the planet. There are canyons and volcanoes everywhere which make travel difficult, but luckily none of the volcanoes are active. Actually nothing on Mars is very active at all. The skies are clear, the ground is sturdy, and the for now there are no dust storm on the horizon. Mars is the ultimate lonely planet but I better get off of it before night comes or even worse, a dust storm. They start out small but eventually Mars hosts dust storms that consume the entire planet and I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of that. As I get in to the spaceship and head back home I think that my trip on Mars has been successful. I knew that I wasn't going to find anything and that I would be cold and alone but now I can go back home saying that I was the first person to step foot on Mars!

2 comments: